Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Muggling........

Well, it's not too late, and I have banished all to bed...It had nothing to do with the noodles (really)... Time to share.........
  • I am a Belmont girl, and was seriously affronted when some low-life tried to burn down the high school (again)
  • It was a great place top grow up; a newish community, with lots of biggish families, most without much money. Due to the coal mine, there was quite a few different nationalities as well. We would always play out on the gravel street in the front of our houses, and we looked after each other. We just went home by dark.
  • Mum and dad still live there, as do a lot of the original inhabitants. The usual way out is by marriage, or in the case of the parentals, morbidity. I can only think of 4 families that actually left voluntarily.
  • Brush with fame; I saw one very close school friend and her daughter in the "Society Pages" of the Newcastle Herald on Monday. There was a guy I went to school with in there, too.
  • I used to go to to music gigs as often as possible when I was young(er) ......everyone from Neil Young to Queen to Elton John to Adam and the Ants and many, many, many more...... Ahh, my miss-spent youth...wonderful......
  • The first band I ever saw in concert was "Cold Chisel" at the Mawson Hotel at Caves Beach. I was 15 yrs old, and didn't even know who they were (nobody else did either). When I arrived home and told my mum where I'd been...I thought we were going to a party, and so did she; all she said was..."For God's sake, don't mention it to your Father"...........
  • I used to think that my mum was the over-protective disciplinarian in our family. I found out later that Dad was the one making all the rules, but making mum enforce them. She used to say "Ask your Father", and he used to say "But your Mother said No". Poor Mum; it just makes me love her more.
  • Weekends were mostly spent at Scottish Highland Dancing Competitions on Saturdays with Mum, and Motocross Events on Sundays with Dad. Interesting fact; Mum never missed an event with dad, and we were all expected to help him run events, but dad rarely, if ever took me to a dancing comp, and only if it was able to be combined with something or someone he wanted to see.
  • I taught dancing from the age of 14 until 24. I started dancing when I was 6 & I was still competing and was preparing for my examiner & adjudication qualifications when I fell pregnant with Eloise at almost 27. I knew I would never use them again, so I stopped dancing, and I haven't missed it.
  • I had some great fun and made wonderful and enduring friendships during this time. I still can't resist the skirl of the pipes........and the drums.....men in kilts mmmmmm......
  • I come from a large, if rather motley family (Lisa can vouch for this). We were very close as kids, but my generation has seen this closeness dissipate. You could never be sure who was a blood relative and who was a "hanger-on" as we had so many "aunts & uncles".
  • My first real job was at The Store Hospital & Medical Office; I used to make cups of tea for the General Manager on the top floor...I loved this as it afforded me a fabulous view of Newcastle Harbour, and the "Mooloobinba" floating dock. I think this where my love of Newcastle and it's harbour started.
  • I would love to retire to the inner city area, and live in a penthouse apartment, preferably in the next 5 years. Any later, and I might not be able to run down the stairs in the event of a fire 'cause of my dicky knee........... I can't jump out of a window 'cause I hate heights......Guess Denman's nice.....
  • I loved being pregnant, and am truly sorry that I will never have the pleasure again of growing a baby inside of me, and to give birth. Birthing a baby is the most generous , yet selfish experience that a woman can have.
That's enough for one night; As Iky Solomon say's in "The Potato Factory"; "You've got to leave a little salt on the bread".

Love to you all & goodnight,
from the Blogmuggler ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the 'potato factory ' trilogy.
love being pregnant too....
as for our family.......pretty normal as far as disfunctional goes..........

Michelle said...

whats normal? I'll tell you...dysfunction. I wish I could dance

Cyndy said...

I can't anymore..I've worn out my knees, ankles and hips....Oh and I weigh about 20kilos more.....