Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bring me sunshine, in your smile.....




"My life may be a pain in the bum, but at least it's never boring.."

A wise woman I know once wrote this. I think I need to steal it & make it my own.

My last week in Newie: so full of promise.....

Sunday's visit to Poppy Don in hospital at JHH was relatively uneventful, with his proclamation that he will be going home on Monday. Unlikely, thought I, but hoped that I was wrong. He was determined to be at least home by beautiful wife's birthday on Tuesday.... and he was. She went out to her post-broken femur therapy session as usual, and he arrived home. GG & I arrived on the doorstep shortly after they finished their dinner to to deliver birthday booty to Nanny Val, & pass on the belated winning birthday lottery tickets to Poppy Don from his July birthday. "Happy Friggen Birthday", read the message inside his card. And so it was. Shortly afterwards, Poppy Don was showing some odd behaviours and signs, which amplified over trhe next 20mins. My 1st thought was a stroke, but I wasn't convinced, & couldn't put my finger on the problem. The ambos saved the day (as they inevitably do) and bought him out of his 1st "hypoglycaemic event"...... Now I've seen one, I'll never forget it. It's looks as though someone is paralytically drunk whilst they are having a stroke...... The normal blood glucose level is between 4 & 8: Poppy Don's was less than 1.
The short version: GG stayed with Nanny Val, while I braved the JHH A & E department. Sister-in-law, Sue, joined me for a few hours. After 3 doctors, tests and many glucose injections and drip infusions, Poppy Don is now an in-patient, with highly unstable blood glucose levels. It is continually dropping, and is proving difficult to maintain. So he's a pretty crook fellow at the moment. And typically in public hospital form, there were no staff to hold his sick bag & monitor its use, so I stayed until he was finally given anti-vomit medication and settled down close to 4am..... Very important TENurse duties.....

The blogpost title is a direct reference to the evening's events: the sun came out from behind a cloud (even though it was after 8pm) when Poppy Don smiled as he was coming out of his "event".......


Another clinical skills assessment was passed at TAFE today, so I shouldn't cause too much permanent damage if I am administering oral medications to any patients now.....


S.Boy attended his interview yesterday, but isn't too hopeful, as he doesn't think that he answered the questions in the way that was wanted. Wait & see, I say. To make the final 10 is an achievement in itself, and at least he has an idea of what is involved in the process now.

GG went to see about the chef apprenticeship, and was told that they have changed their minds and want a 2nd year apprentice indstead of a 1st year...... oh well..... she looked really nice, too.....

Vboy is going to a Sport & Rec camp this weekend on an island on the Hawkesbury River, so that should be fun for him....

Anyway, I'm going to see GG, who's babysitting her cousins after her one & only shift at Maccas: I'm thieving the car to go and see Poppy Don.

Then it's study time. and probably zzzzzzzzzzzzz


4 comments:

Unknown said...

god cyndy, you need a really good dose of boring life for a while........xxxxx tafe must be almost over now ???

The Tall Red Head said...

What Lisa said!! How the hell do you survive?? And here is me sooking cos I don't get a phone call or message for a few days.

You are a Wonder Woman. WORD.

Cyndy said...

I am a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other-woman.

Friday. TAFE over. Not going to fail: not an option. WORD.

Toni: I was saddened when I read about your doona cover, yet strangely amused. Sorry.

Thanks ladies. xoxoxox

The Tall Red Head said...

Meh, the Donna Cover will survive. Meanwhile the youngest child has my wrath upon her for my carpet...grrrr.

And as if you are going to fail TAFE, I have said you are Wonder Woman with WORD at the end of the sentence. Nothing goes wrong when I say word.