Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Grab that cash with both hands..........................

Evening Bloggers.

I wasn't going to post anything today as I thought that I had nothing to say. But as I pondered the newest manna from Kevin, it lead me down a path.

Why the heck are we being given money to spend, when just today, a patient sent a pink lady on an errand to buy 5 boxes of tissues for the hospital because they had run out, & there was not a box in the stores department either? A palliative care cancer patient returned her "back-up" box of tissues to staff for other patients to use................

Why are we to promote the economy when people are waiting months for potentially life saving/enhancing/promoting treatment in a hospital because they can't afford to buy themselves private hospital services, & existing services are so stretched that beds are empty because hospital budgets don't allow the employment of staff to utilise them? Income levels should not drive the level of healthcare that an individual receives, yet.......

Why are patients forced to wait because budgets don't allow for more staff?

Why aren't more medications subsidised by the government, which would potentially improve access to medications?

Hospital staff are constantly reminded of the cost of every towel, sheet, flannel & pillowcase. Incontinence aids, types of tape used & gloves........ All are related back to the inflexibility of the hospital budget.

Why are waiting lists so long?

Why aren't more doctors & nurses being trained? Surely less overtime stress & shorter shifts would improve patient care. Staff are tired & stressed.

Why aren't doctors offered better incentives to practice in rural & outlying areas? What happens to the ones that are being trained? Hint; they don't end up in country hospitals. The majority of medicos in rural practice are imported from overseas......

Why is so much money wasted on fireworks? Every bang & flash of vibrant colour sees a hospital bed, education for our children or helping out a company that is going down the tubes disappear with the fading colour.

The same goes for the "Why aren't you a good enough Australian" campaign and just about any anti-smoking ad.... To me, they are just a huge waste of money. Our kids could be provided with an education that is appropriate for the individual rather than one that barely caters for the masses.

Money is wasted that could be better spent providing services that could make people more comfortable when thay are ill, aging or dying. Or setting up a decent pension & welfare plan. Infrastructure & teachers in our schools all gone up in smoke. And save our teachers from inconveniencing already stressed families with more strike actions.

I'd better stop now.

I could rant for quite a while if I get a roll on. ( and you thought that I was already... way more to go yet).

Of course, like most other folk, I will not give manna from Kevin back. Beloved & I have been paying taxes since we were 15..... I believe that I will still be working into my 70's: the government has decreed that there will be no pension for Beloved & I, so I'll take mine as it comes along.

*sigh*

I'm such a hypocrite.

Having said all this (actually whinged all this), you will receive good, safe & professional healthcare in our hospitals. Our system is still way better than the USA's. We'll just have to be patient, that's all. And in country hospitals, there is no benefit to private healthcover as there are no docs in private practice, nor are there usually any private rooms on offer/available anyway. It just means that private patients' care is charged to the health fund, & the goverment (ie you & me) doesn't pick up the tab.

Goodnight >_<

Pink Floyd: Money

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and your O.K.
Money it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team
Money get back
I'm alright Jack keep your hands off my stack.
Money it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class travelling set
And I think i need a Lear Jet
Money it's a crime
Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie
Money so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're
giving none away

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.
And, sadly, all true.
A day doesn't go by that I'm not intensely grateful for my private health cover and painfully aware of those who don't or can't - because I once was too.
Well said.

Michelle said...

Yes.

On all counts.

What new manna from kevin? Should I be getting excited?

Michelle said...

Its $950 Back to School all as well as same for single/limited income earners. Any child on Youth Allowance who is studying should also get it. GG may be in for a suprise, and you will get it for the youngest too I imagine.

Excellent

Natalie said...

Goodonya Cyndy. Love your posts.xx

Unknown said...

not again- how much more is he giving out-great post by the way cousin of mine- i love it when you have a topic close to your heart !

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Well I guess you had a rant! Much needed to be sure. I hope that all of this money does make a difference in the health care system at least in the long run. I haven't seen any of the cash in Puerto Rico. I guess its a tax break-refund you are talking about, right? My sister works in a hospital in Tennessee. I guess we need to figure a way to provide health care for absolutely everyone. Here in Puerto Rico, there are always fund drives to collect money for people who can't afford a necessary life saving medical procedure. I share your concern. <3