Saturday, July 12, 2008

It's an epic.. as usual....

My, oh my it's cold up here in Wattle Grove this morning.

I'm here in trackie-dacks, 2 of my jumpers, 1 of Beloved's jumpers with his jacket with the collar pulled up over my ears over the top of everything, a cap, socks and Beloved's slippers (I don't own any..Mothers Day, how you have failed me!!!) and a doona wrapped around me while I am sitting in front of the computer. If he was here right now, I'm sure George Clooney would jump my bones in an instant.... if he could find them under all the layers of clothing and my walrus-like layer of winter padding (read that as fat...).

How do eskimoes do it? Yet surely they must... because there are numerous little eskimoes..... sorry: inuit peoples.....

I'm up nice and early as Scorpaboy has driven off the Newcastle to catch a train to Sydney with a group of friends to attend the "Hardcore" gig at the Roundhouse at the Uni of NSW. Crikey it's hard to let your apron strings stretch so far....... but you have to. He won't be home until "Sunday..... sometime, Mum...." . He's only 17, my baby, had his licence for what seems like days and he's gone off with all those teenstrangers, to such a dangerous place...... trust in him...ok, I can deal with that. But others and their actions: that's not so easy. But he is spreading his wings, and they are stretching far beyond Wattle Grove.

Yesterday was interesting, even by the usually chaotic Blogmuggle standards. I returned to work yesterday after 2 days on sick leave, and as usual for winter, it's absolutely flat chat. Lots of sick people in hospital this time of year. By lunch time, I was asked to work the evening shift as well.. A doubler...... So I left home at 5.50am and returned home at 11.40pm... I've come the conclusion that for a trainee, I am useful after all. And people refer to me as "Nurse"...... This makes me feel good.....
Beloved was at home after being called into work again at 9 the night before and returned home at about 4.30am... The boys were at home; Scorpaboy had to be at KFC to work at 5 yesterday evening. My brother was using our place as the half-way meeting point with his inlaws to hand over his children for the week, and the electrician was returning to complete the electrical work. All should have been straight forward, and my doubler do-able until............
Beloved was called into work at 11.30am.
And then he received a call from his sister in Newcastle informing him that his mum had
"had a fall and broken her leg." Panic-stations for Beloved..... He must have been painting when he received the call: at 1am this morning, I found the paint tin open and the (now dried) paint-laden brush sitting next to it. So he called me... I had no phone battery as the new phone sucks and doesn't give me any low-battery warnings, and doesn't hold charge all that long..... so I am blissfully unaware of any of this until I phone Beloved at about 1.30pm to tell him of my overtime windfall: His brother answered the phone, and tells me that they are on-route to the hospital....... Poor Beloved had to leave me a message on Message Bank..... so sorry, Beloved...
So it was phone the boys at home and tell them to organise their own dinner; Scorpaboy had no way of getting to work as Beloved and I had a car each, so then I was on the phone KFC to explain the situation (they were lovely about it). That's the problem with working 60ks from home.......
The end result: my beautiful Mother-in-law, who is THE most wonderful Mother-in-law EVER, and her Beloved had gone shopping at a shop for mobility aids, when she tripped on something on the floor (oh.. the irony in that...), and fractured the neck of her femur: that's the spot where the top of the thigh bone fits into the hip. It's a particularly nasty break at the best of times, and hers is a spiral break, which is even more severe. I nursed 2 of these yesterday... not nice: very, very painful. Last night, as she was waitnig to be placed in traction prior to surgery this morning, Beloved commented that "Mum was much more comfortable, and very chatty...." You've gotta love morphine and all the accompanying drugs...... She is usually a relatively reserved woman; the very epitome of a lady.... I want to be like her when I grow up.......
It is a blessing that Vegeboys' team forfeited their rugby league game today, or we would have had to found a way to be in Kotara at 9 this morning. With Scorpaboy's excursion, I am now housebound... I can't go to work if they call me.... can't shop.... no food......isolated....help.... nah, it's all good. A couple of slow days will be good.
Beloved stayed in Newie with his bro and his 80yrold Dad, and all going well, they'll be home this afternoon. Beloved's family were all meeting at our house next weekend to celebrate his Dad's 81st birthday and to ooh and ahh over our marvelous renovations.... so the pressure is off there to have it all finished and be moved in this weekend. Which is a good thing as the electrician didn't turn up yesterday. And the gas bottles were delivered yesterday for the hot water service: they weren't supposed to be delivered until next week in the hope that the plumber, who was supposed to plumb it all up LAST Friday may have turned up to do the job....... grrrrrr. $182.00 for gas.... I'm glad I worked a doubler.....

*snort* My father rang me on Thursday night to complain that Scorpaboy had taken home a pair of his socks after he stayed with him last weekend... to be fair, they were his only woolly black ones...... socks; OMG DAD! I'LL BUY YOU SOME NEW ONES!!!!!.. He complained to my brother about it too...*snort again*

Yep. It's a chaotic life. But it's mine. And I love it.

A few less than happy things;

A beautful friend of mine passed away and I didn't even know it. Helena was my neighbour when we 1st moved to Muswellbrook. She and her girls helped me out enormously. As the years have passed, we all move on with our lives. Beloved saw her a few weeks ago, and she was to have heart surgery shortly afterwards. Evidently, she didn't make it. I only found out when the legal notice in regard to her will was in the paper last week. Her funeral must have been private and fast. Her girls must be absolutely devasted ........ I'm not sure how to contact them: One daughter was living in Canberra and the other one in the UK, although they may both still be around at the moment. I think that I will contact her brother-in-law; Bas will fill me in. Helena was the epitome of the great Aussie battler who give you the shirt off her back, and was so proud of her girls.... so sad........

And my friend, Sharon, who I have talked about before, is back in residence at the Hospice at the Mater hospital at Waratah. The doctors cannot understand why she is still here.... Because she is Sharon. That is why. She said to her husband the other day that she had better hurry up and die, as his long service leave is going to run out soon..... Oh, she is dry. And so stubborn. And more special than she knows. Sharon's favourite place is the 100acre piece of heaven that the family bought before she became sick; they have been living there in caravans for the past few years. If I could do anything for her, it would be to enable her to die there....... I would ask you to pray for a peaceful and calm end when it is time, please.... And then, everyone can breathe again.

If you've had to go through something such as this journey, then you will understand my last statement. But that's a blog for a whole other time.

Can you believe it? I've been sitting here for almost 3hrs, in between phone calls.. I need some breakfast..

I really must blog more often.......... but there never seems anything to say.....

Off you go, and rub your numb bums..... Have a good weekend!

Love, Bloggie xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox






3 comments:

Michelle said...

Im exhausted just reading your blog, as usual

xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Phew.....what do you do first???
I think you need to prep us with installments...all in one go is just too emotional.w.w.

Cyndy said...

Sorry guys. By the time it hits the computer, I've usually had a bit of time to process it....